Social Networking Sites

There are various types of social media sites, the prominent ones being sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Facebook and Twitter from my personal usage are similar in a sense that you're sharing information to the public or your friends. Both websites have a similar function of being able to post anything. Facebook has a status post while Twitter has a "tweet". These postings allow you to share practically any form of media, whether it is a link, a photo, text, etc. There are also ads administered through Facebook and Twitter that appear within your timeline. The timeline is generally all the posts from people you follow or friended. It is generally in chronological order as well. I generally don't use Facebook much as their messenger platform was separated from the actual Facebook application, thus messaging people is on a completely different application. Furthermore, with the increased ads on Facebook, I tend to stray away from using Facebook much. Additionally, I don't necessarily use Twitter much because in my opinion the application itself is more complex than Facebook and I find their timeline structure is harder to use. For example, clicking on a persons tweet doesn't bring to the actual replies to the tweet, instead clicking on the tweet brings you to replying to the person.

On the other hand, other social media platforms such as Instagram is what I generally use. I believe this is the common trend nowadays as well as people appeal more towards photos now. Generally speaking, in my opinion, I believe a photo is obviously more interesting than just a box of text. Also the structure of Instagram in my opinion is much more simpler, having a section for your timeline, a section for your profile, and a section for an explorer page where you're able to see posts from people you're not even following. I think it allows you to easily find interesting people and pages this way. Another site I use is Reddit. I find Reddit similar to Twitter, but a much more simple format. Reddit is similar to a wikipedia in a sense that there are specific pages catered to one topic. For example, Reddit is the general site, but a sub-reddit can be "AskReddit", which is a sub platform where users can simply ask general questions and any Reddit user can respond to it. They also have a worldnews sub-reddit where people share news in real time and I generally find it easier to obtain information as to what is going on in the world. Overall, Reddit because it is more of a laid back community, it is much more enjoyable and accessible.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next New

Wiki So Far

Blog: Privacy